“A reader lives a thousand worlds before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once ” – George RR Martin
Well “Read more” has been always be counted as one of the top goals for people. It is definitely a habit that can leave a big impact in your life.
I became an avid reader during my college days. Those days a guy just close to my hostel used to give books on rent for 10 rs per week. I used to pick up all the suspense thrillers, love stories and finish them pretty quickly.
It was after I started working, I put my hands to the non-fiction categories.
Impact of Reading :
Below are some of the impacts reading has done to me, though there are many I am only listing few.
- Change in perspective : Reading good books have definitely changed the way I look at things. It has shown me new ways of looking at people or things that I had never even considered.
- Knowledge : There is no second thought, the most effective impact books can have is increase your knowledge.
- Improve in Vocabulory : We end up knowing all those new words that we never use in day to day life.
- Reduce Stress: A good way to de-stress is to read, while if the topic is something that interests you, you might forget how bad your day was at work or the fight you just had with someone.
- Save Money : Once you start reading more and soon it becomes your habit, you will notice that you have started spending less money on other entertainment things and therefore a increase in your savings.
One of the first good books I remember I read that did some good change in me was “Secret” by “Rhondha Byrne”. I read it after my colleague kept on suggesting me I do and I will be able to achieve anything I want.
Robin Sharma’s “The monk who sold his ferrari” had a major impact in me. I quit non-veg food after reading it. While most of my colleagues and friends still are not able to believe as I belong to eastern state of India – West Bengal where fish and sea food are considered to be the staple diet.
“Reading a good book is like a taking a Journey” – Emma Gulliford
I keep on trying to get back to more to reading and here are few things I am doing to make it a practise and read more:
- Devote atleast 30 minutes to Books daily : With our working lives and increase in the time we spend on internet it gets difficult for us to ready daily. Though finding out few minutes daily from our schedule can help us make it a habit. Waking up to reading a book or just before sleeping can be a good idea. If you travel for work by bus/train then that is even better.
- Watch less TV/Internet : So we all know where our time goes, hence we need to cut down little of that time to make it for books. If you watch TV a lot or too much time on the net, you can accommodate books for sure.
- Carrying a book with me : I make sure to always keep in book in my bag. That has helped me remind that I have to read more and I must tell you it works.
“Knowledge is power” and there is no end of it. The more you get the better. If we read 10-20 books on a topic, we definitely know more about it than most of the people and reading a few hundred books 100-200 on a topic makes you an expert. Sounds pretty cool to me.
Pic Source : Flipkart.com Pic Souce : beyondword.com
Source for the Header Pic : entrepreneur.com
Has reading changed something in you forever?
I will be glad to know if any book has ever had a major impact in you and how have that changed something in your life.