Most of us like to pack our bags and escape to our places for ideal vacations. It can be mountains, hill stations, deserts, anywhere but somewhere. It becomes our duty to keep those places clean, safe and good enough so that it gives us back what we expect from it. We have to be a Responsible Tourist.
So who becomes a responsible tourist and what is Responsible Tourism?
Responsible Tourism in India is an initiative by Outlook Traveler that seeks to minimize adverse impacts of tourism on a destination.
The concept of Responsible tourism is to promote activities that is beneficial to the tourist place from the viewpoint of the tourists, thats makes you and me, us and everyone who travels.
The three main impacts of tourism are the Social & Cultural Impact, the environmental and the Economic Impact. Whenever we travel these three factors are bound to change. We need to educate ourselves by finding out why it is important to act in a way that these three factors are not disturbed : the environment, the society & the culture of the place and the economy of course. It all depends on what we do, buy, eat, where we stay and the way we interact or deal with the locals.
Check this link to know more about the Campaign.
I could think of below ways that I am going to keep a note of henceforth and support Responsible Tourism.
- Environment and Pollution: Try to keep the surroundings clean by not throwing any garbage, littering, not using plastic bags etc. It is our utmost duty to keep the place clean and hygienic.
- Conserve Energy : Try to save water by not using when not required. Don’t make the rivers, lakes dirty. Preserve any natural environments forms.
- Support Locals: Purchase the locals goods and products from the local markets. Choosing home stays can be also a option for your stay. Eat at local restaurants. Participate in Local festivals. Use public transport.
- Be Open Minded: Respect the local tradition and customs. Interact with the locals and try to understand their culture.
- Follow the rules : Every place has some rules and regulations. Be well informed about the place you are going and follow them correctly.
For the sake of Tourism it the duty of all the travelers to contribute to the maximum for the well being of any destination they choose as their vacation. We need to respect the society, the people, the nature.
Let me know if you can think of any other ways apart from the ones I mentioned that can be done to contribute.
Let’s make our surroundings – “BETTER PLACES FOR PEOPLE TO LIVE, AND BETTER PLACES FOR PEOPLE TO VISIT”
This post is my submission to the contest by Blogadda on responsible Tourism.