I attended my first ever Bloggers’s meet – Indiblogger’s BNLF 2015 – The most disruptive Blogging conference held at the Lalit Hotel, Mumbai, Oct 31st- Nov 1st 2015. The reason that it was going to be my first was good enough to keep my enthusiasm and eagerness at the top. I registered for this event just by chance. Thank god registrations were free. I knew the event would give me the opportunity to meet and be around some very passionate people who were and still are my virtual world. As living in a city like Vadodara where there are no such meets, difficult to find such people, this was like one Jackpot opportunity for me to interact, meet and connect with a lot of intellectual, amazing writers/bloggers etc. Not to miss the super fantastic list of Speakers that Indi team managed for us.
Below are the Speakers and my Takeaways from them (in no specfic order ):
- Bruce Dickinson :
Who – The craziest and probably the most insane part of the event was going to be this man. Not only the 500 bloggers who attended the event, but also other speakers were waiting to see him live. You know him as the lead singer and the front man of “Iron Maiden”, but that’s not all. 57 year old Bruce, apart from being known as a English musician, is also a trained airline pilot, a broadcaster and a successful entrepreneur.
Take Aways –
- Turning the customers into fans. Whether you sing, write, paint, no matter what the profession is, if you have to keep on going, its important people stay with you. Customers will not, but the fans will. I understood that its better to have few bunch of people who understand your passion rather than a number of people who are just talking about it and don’t know what you are doing, or which way you want to go. Now turning the customers into fans is a task. You have to figure that out please!!
- 0 +0 = 100 or anything you want. You have a brain, you have a plan, you can’t be hopeless.
- Kanan Gill :
Who – Mr. Gill was my another favorite from the Speakers list. Yes of course for the pretentious reviews that he does. Kanan is a stand up comedian and You tuber. He is a Computer science engineer who quit his job at 23 to pursue a career in comedy through online social media.
Take Aways– Kanan took us back to his struggling days and presented the PPT of his diary which he used to scribble down, but in a freakish way. He was humorous, witty and very pretentious indeed.
- He focused on not to expect quick success.
- And stop expecting too much from oneself.
Check out Kanan’s Videos here
- Purba Ray :
Who – Purba is a well-known Blogger, known for her blog A musing. She was the one to kick start the event, and she rocked it completely. She came out so well that probably gave us an idea about the standard of the event I was attending. She also writes for Huffingpost, IBNlive and TOI. Her confidence and charming personality was attention grabbing for sure.
My Most favorite moment from Purba’s session was definitely when she said:
“So, What do you do?”
I mean, what do you do for a living”?
Take Aways –
- She talked about blogging as a passion and looking at it as a way to ignite someone else’s desire in doing something worthwhile.
- Women Empowerment of course – Ladies if you wait to be treated equal as Men, you will never be empowered.
- Try to find yourself in your writing.
Read Purba’s Blog here
- Preeti Shenoy
Who – Needless to say, Preeti Shenoy is a well known Indian author. Nominated for the Forbes List of the 100 most influential celebrities of India (2013 edition). Below are the books by preeti.
- 34 Bubblegums and Candies (2008).
- Life Is What You Make It (2011)
- Tea for Two and a Piece of Cake (2012)
- The Secret Wish List (2012)
- The One You Cannot Have (2013)
- Why we love the way we do (2015 ) yet to release
Take Aways – To hear the success story of country’s one of the best selling author from the author herself was stunning itself.
- Preeti’s story of failure and rejections was something to grasp for.Her book was rejected 39 times and she kept on trying, hoping and ultimately becoming what she is today.
- She also talked about spending time on other interests. The ones she did were making portraits, gardening.
- Arnab Ray
Who – Better known as the “GreatBong” is India’s one of most widely read bloggers. He currently resides in the United States, Washington D.C. He contributes at the New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal Online, The Times of India, DNA and Outlook. His published books are :
Take Aways –
- I have to appreciate when he said that he is honest with his blogs as he does not make money from writing. You have to be honest with what you write.
- Insisted on using the Vowels, Capitals properly and no smileys in the Blogs please!
- Move away from any profession that does not let your Blogging passion grow.
Read Arnab’s Blog here.
- Christoph Trappe
Who – He is a globally-recognized content marketing expert who frequently speaks at global conferences – including Content Marketing World – about social media, blogging and executive buy-in. The Content Marketing Institute acknowledged him as a 2014 and 2015 Top 100 Most Influential Content Marketer. Among other awards, he was also named a most influential content marketer on Twitter by London-based Axonn Media. Ang yes he came down all the way from Marion, Iowa to be a part of this event.
Take Aways –
- 60-30-10 ‰ Rule – Talking / Responding – Resharing / link – The best tip to successful blogging.
- You will not find time for Blogging, you have to make it.
- Its okay to share your Blog posts multiple times, but after some specific period.
- Everyone is an influencer to somebody.
- The best CEO is an authentic story.
- Conflict makes good stories.
- Pick the right details for your story, like choosing ingredients for a dish.
Connect with Christoph on Twitter @Ctrappe – his twitter feeds are free or check authenticstorytelling
- Anshul Tiwari
Who – Founder and Editor in Chief of YouthKiAwaaz. Its a community which addresses some of the world’s most pressing issues of the youth and focuses on politics, society, environment and provides a platform to the youth to freely come up with the issues they face. He also writes columns for the The Indian express, The Wall Street Journal India, IBNLive.com etc.
Take Aways –
- Public opinion is the new superpower.
- Build a small but loyal audience.
- It is extremely important to persevere and be at it.
- The more you detach the better it is.
- Power of blogging – One blog can make a difference.
- Jeff Bullas
Who – Content Marketing Influencer, Social Media Marketing Strategist & Speaker, Forbes Top 10 Social Media Influencer, Huffington Top 100 Business Twitter Accounts. He has been ranked #8 on Forbes” The World’s Top 40 Social Marketing Talent” – 2014, is an Australian, resides in Sydney.
Take Aways –
- Blogging gives a voice to the introverts.
- Every human being has to chase for the creative things that they love.
- Done is better than Perfect.
- Headline is the most important part of the Content.
- Think like a publisher. The power of persistent & consistent content on the social web should not be underestimated.
I give a big applause to the Indi team for managing the event so well and giving me the opportunity to be a part of it. I am sure these takeaways from the event are going to change my life for good.
Indi Blogger team – You guys rock !!